The mission of the Academic Advising and Support Center is to provide assistance to all students in the attainment of their educational goals, through academic advisement and intervention to help make a successful transition to, and establish their place, in university life; referral and mentoring; assist students to take responsibility for learning how to set academic, career, and personal goals, and the strategies for achieving them; and provide guidance to help them graduate in a timely manner, successfully meeting all requirements.
Purpose of Academic Advising
The purpose of the Academic Advising Center at Saint Augustine's University is to provide vital support services to students in an effort to support the University’s stated retention goals. The goal is to increase the retention rate by 10% for first and second year students by providing the following services:
- The Advisement of 1st and 2nd year students four times a year during the Academic year. This includes; Freshmen Seminar students and all returning students, Academic Probation/Academic Warning.
- Preparation of a letter from the Vice President for Academic Affairs notifying students of their Academic Warning or Academic Probation status and the contract process.
- Providing/facilitating workshops and tutorials for all students, faculty and staff.
- Establishing strategies for delivering advising services to 1st and 2nd year students and all walk–in students.
- Tracking student progress through Datatel and the ongoing file updates.
- Make available to the Vice President of Academic Affairs names of students who might benefit from the suspension and reinstatement process.
- Organizing an Academic Majors Fair in conjunction with Departments.
Goal - Increase retention rate by 10% for first and second year students
- To Advise 1st and 2nd year students four times a year during the Academic year.
- To include; First year Seminar students and all returning students, academic probation and academic warning.
- To recruit, and train five new Faculty Advisors.
- To provide and facilitate workshops for all students, faculty and staff, and to coordinate tutors for the tutorial services for the students.
- To establish strategies for delivering Advising services to 1st and 2nd year students and all walk–in students.
- To develop a comprehensive tracking system on student progress.
- To develop an Academic Majors Fair.
- To hire and train an ADA Compliance Officer.