The mission of Academic Affairs at Saint Augustine's University is to promote an educational environment that is conducive to life learning across the broad spectrum of liberal arts. An important element of this mission is to prepare students for graduate and professional studies or employment in a complex, diverse, and rapidly changing world.
The mission of Academic Affairs is achieved through the promulgation of academic policies that facilitate students’ mastery of their chosen discipline, supports their intellectual inquisitiveness, enhances their creativeness, and assists them in examining the ethical and spiritual considerations of their personal and professional conduct.
Building on a sound foundation of general education and major requirements, a pedagogically competent faculty works with students to help them become leaders who think critically, understand the global context of knowledge, and appreciate the achievements of the human spirit.
Towards this mission, the goals of Academic Affairs are:
- To ensure that students attain competencies in the foundational skills of written and oral communication, mathematics, and computer use;
- To help students acquire a historical perspective of the impact of race, gender and culture and the requirements of citizenship in American society;
- To foster in students a critical understanding of the influence and contributions of diverse cultures in a global context, with particular attention to the contributions derived from the cultures of the African Diaspora including, Africa, the Caribbean, and African-American cultures;
- To provide students with the requisite skills and analytical reasoning ability necessary for the successful pursuit of graduate and professional studies in their major discipline;
- To develop, review, and revise curricula that will prepare students for meaningful careers including employment in business, government, criminal justice, real estate management, science, the military, education, the arts, and wellness; and
- To regularly assess the effectiveness of Academic Affairs in fulfilling its mission through regular evaluations of student outcomes, reviewing comparative institutional indicators of institutional effectiveness, and conducting continuous assessment of faculty teaching.