Located 10 blocks east of the State Capital, Saint Augustine's Normal School was founded in 1867, an outgrowth of Christian missionary work by northerners in the Reconstruction-era South. It established Raleigh as a center of educational opportunity for freedmen and over the years has graduated many of the region's most accomplished African Americans.
Affiliated with the Episcopal Church Saint Augustine's began as a normal school with a technical and trade-related program and subsequently adopted a liberal arts curriculum. The church further extended its mission by establishing St. Agnes Hospital and Training School for Nurses, to provide medical care for and by African Americans. Historically, the school also has served as an anchor of the predominantly black neighborhoods of Idlewild and University Park, which flank it.
The evolving nature of the school is reflected in its varied architecture. The campus' earliest buildings are clustered around a central, landscaped oval and near Oakwood Avenue, which runs east to west past the school. Saint Augustine's Chapel (1895) was constructed of stone in the Gothic style; the Romanesque Benson Library building (1896), which is now part of Taylor Hall (1902), and St. Agnes Hospital (1909) were also built from stone. The Hunter, Delany and Cheshire buildings, dating from the early 20th century, were constructed of brick in the Classical Revival style. While contemporary buildings of the school's outer grounds provide a modernist contrast, the campus core remains a tangible bequest from Saint Augustine's pioneering beginnings. Saint Augustine's Chapel and St. Agnes Hospital are designated Raleigh Historic Landmarks.
The name changed from Saint Augustine's Normal School to Saint Augustine’s School in 1893 and to Saint Augustine’s Junior University in 1919, the first year in which postsecondary instruction was offered. The school became a four-year institution in 1927 and in 1928 was renamed Saint Augustine's College. Baccalaureate degrees were first awarded in 1931. August 1, 2012 Saint Augustine's College became Saint Augustine's University.
Saint Augustine's University was the nation’s first historically black university to have its own on-campus commercial radio and television stations (WAUG-AM 750, WAUG-TV 68, and Time Warner cable channel 10). It is also the only school in the Raleigh/Durham area to offer a degree in film production.
The University is comprised of 47 buildings and 122 acres. As with most small colleges, many of the buildings and facilities serve multiple functions related to education programs, support services and other mission-related activities. Included is a brief description of the campus buildings.
Cheshire Building – Cheshire Building, formerly called “Cheshire Hall’ was erected in 1929 and named in honor of the Right Reverent Joseph Blount Cheshire, a former President of the Board of Trustees at Saint Augustine’s College is the Business and Computer Science academic building, which houses the programs in Business Administration, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Accounting, and two computer laboratories; traditional academic classrooms and four basic smart classrooms. Eighteen faculty offices are located in Cheshire Hall along with a small discipline specific library/resources laboratory, and a conference room.
Penick Hall – Penick Hall was erected in 1950 and named in honor of Bishop Edwin Anderson Penick. Penick is the Natural Sciences and Mathematic academic building, which houses programs in biology, chemistry, engineering, and mathematics, two computer laboratories, one GRE testing laboratory, a smart classroom completely equipped with an Interactive Smart Board, LCD projector, speakers and amp, DVD/VCR and AV cart and it also contains 16 traditional classrooms and laboratories. Eleven faculty offices are also located in Penick Hall.
Seby Jones Fine Arts Center – Seby Jones was erected in 1976 and named in honor of philanthropist Seby B. Jones, former Board of Trustee and former Mayor of Raleigh. It houses programs in Music, Theatre, Film, Art and Communications. There are two discipline specific computer labs, a smart classroom, 15 traditional classrooms, an art gallery, and a 350 seat theatre. The building also houses the College’s radio and television station. Saint Augustine’s College is the first historically black college to own a commercial radio and television station.
Tuttle Building – Tuttle building was erected in 1926 and named in honor of Bishop Tuttle and served as the national training center for the education of Negro Women for Church Work and Social Service. Tuttle currently houses the college’s ROTC department.
Boyer Building – Boyer Hall was erected in 1970 and named in honor of Dr. Charles H. Boyer, the college’s Academic Dean. Dr. Boyer served the college for 40 years. Boyer houses classrooms and office space for programs in the Liberal Arts, Education, and the Social Sciences. There are two general academic computer labs, one writing center, a Model Education Computer laboratory, a Foreign Language laboratory, three smart classrooms and a smart conference center equipped with a touch panel electric screen, LCD projector, speakers/amps, DVD/VCR, AV cart and wireless conference telephone. Additionally, the building has a 250 seat auditorium and is the site for the offices of the President and the Executive Vice President.
Prezell R. Robinson Library – Prezell R. Robinson Library was erected in 1972 and officially named in honor of Dr. Prezell R. Robinson, the eight president of Saint Augustine’s College from 1966-1995, provides library resources for the campus as well as seminar rooms, a computer laboratory, elementary education lab, a literacy lab, and a large conference room. The library is the home of the College’s archives.
Goold Hall – Goold Hall was erected in 1929 and named in honor of the Right Reverent Edgar H. Goold, fifth President of Saint Augustine’s College 1917-1946. It serves as the home of the student center and the Belk Professional Development Center.
Gordon Health Clinic – Gordon Health Clinic was erected in 1979 and named in honor of Dr. Joseph Gordon, former Board of Trustee member. It serves as the colleges clinic for assisting students with the medical needs.
Hermitage Hall – Hermitage Hall was erected in 1914 and served as a residential hall for many years. Currently the building is used for administrative offices.
Hunter Building – The Hunter Building was erected in 1979 and named in honor of Reverend Aaron Burtis Hunter the 4th principal of the then Saint Augustine’s School and houses mainly administrative officesIt consist of: Human Resources, Institutional Advancement and Development, the Registrar, College Relations, Alumni Affairs, Payroll, Accounts Payable, Student Accounts, Purchasing, Comptroller, Student Life, First Year Experience, Academic Advising, Judicial Affairs, Residence Life and the Business Office.
Delany Hall – Delany Hall was erected in 1929 and named in honor of Mrs. Nanny Logan Delany, wife of Bishop Delany and mother of the famous Delany Sisters. It is a former residence hall converted to house the Admissions and Financial Aid offices. The college is in the process now of converting the ground floor to house the Honors Program and the second floor will become additional classrooms.
Charles Mosee Building – The Charles Mosee was erected in 1917 and is currently named in honor of Dr. Charles Mosee, who is an alumnus and noted neurological surgeon in 1933. It is an administrative building. It consists of two floors, which houses the Office of Academic Affairs and the Special Assistant to the President. The second floor is in the process of being renovated to become the President’s office.
Benson Hall – Benson Hall was erected in 1898 and was named in Honor of Mary Benson, a financial contributor to the college. It is one of the oldest building on campus. It was the home of the Library. The first floor houses printing operations and technology, as well as a computer training laboratory. The second floor houses the Center for Teaching Learning, a faculty and staff computer laboratory, the Webmaster, and several administrative offices.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Building – Martin Luther King, Jr. Conference Center was erected in 1967 and named in honor of slain civil-rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It is the home of the student dining hall, the bookstore, the campus post office, mini conference rooms, and a 350 seat ballroom. In 2008 the number of serving lines at the dining hall was expanded and the dining hall received a $1.5 million renovation, which increased seating capacity, modernized the dining area and kitchen equipment, and added an elevator to the building.
Emery Gymnasium – Emery Gym was erected in 1962 and named in honor of Miss Julia Chester Emery. It houses academic classrooms as well as facilities to support the College’s intercollegiate men’s and women’s athletic teams. There is a training room, locker rooms, and offices located in the facility. The college is in the process of building a new football and track and field stadium on campus.
Historic Chapel – The historic Chapel erected in 1895 is the oldest building on campus. The Chapel provides spiritual services to the students, staff, and community. It is supported by the College’s Episcopal Priest, who is a part of the college staff. The Lich-Gate was dedicated at the entrance walk leading to the Chapel in 1903.
Taylor Hall – Taylor hall was erected in 1902 and named in honor of James R. Taylor, a friend of the college. It is the home of the Wellness Center, which has a fully equipped weight room, aerobics area, and is professionally staffed. The center is available for students, faculty and even the community.
Atkinson Hall – Atkinson Hall was erected in 1955 and named in the honor of the Right Reverend Thomas Atkinson, D.D., who was the Bishop of the Diocese of North Carolina. The building provides living space for up to 88 students.
Baker Hall – Baker Hall was erected in 1966 and named in honor of the Right Reverend Richard Henry Baker, D.D., Bishop of North Carolina, and Chairman of the Board of Trustees at Saint Augustine’s College from 1959-1966. The building provides living space for up to 118 students.
Boyer Hall – Boyer Hall was erected in 1995 and named in honor of Dr. James A. Boyer, the seventh President of Saint Augustine’s College. The building provides living space for up to 200 students.
Falk Crest Halls - Falk Crest is the newest addition for student living erected in 2007. The four-building complex, which provides single room living space for up to 334 students was built by David C. Falk, a former Board of Trustee member.
Latham Hall – Latham Hall was erected in 1970 and named in honor of Mabel Latham, who served as an instructor and Dean of Women at Saint Augustine’s College. The building consists of six floors with elevators and provides living space for up to 195 students.
Lynch Hall – Lynch Hall was erected in 1966 and named in honor of Reginald I. Lynch, an alumnus, professor, and administrator. The building is the headquarters for the campus police and provides living space for up to 84 students.
Weston Hall – Weston Hall was erected in 1986, and named in honor of Dr. M. Moran Weston and his family who were alumnus, priest, and educators. The building is structured with six floors and provides living space for up to 303 students.
© 2012 Saint Augustine's University | 1315 Oakwood Avenue, Raleigh, NC 27610-2298 | 800-948-1126 | About SAU Saint Augustine's University is an equal opportunity educator and employer. For current job openings click here.Saint Augustine's University website is designed and maintained by Office of Marketing & Communications.For all compliance information concerning Saint Augustine's University click here.For all comments, feedback, or questions concerning the SAU website click here.