The rich history of Saint Augustine’s University began in 1867 with the initial mandate to train former slaves as school teachers and ministers of the gospel. Educating and training motivated people to minister the gospel to others is still our desire.
The Religious Studies degree program was developed for a very specific target audience; church pastors, ministers, and church members serving in leadership positions who have yet to complete their Bachelor of Arts degrees.
The Religious Studies major courses included in the Extended Studies Program are designed to:
- Facilitate students’ knowledge of at least one major area of Religious Study (i.e., Biblical Studies, Hermeneutics, Theology, etc.)
- Provide opportunities for our adult learners to apply and interpret theoretical research methods
- Strengthen adult learners’ leadership, counseling and administrative skills
- Assist students’ ability to analyze ambiguous text material with elements of Biblical or textual criticism
- Encourage students to engage in open dialog with diverse religious practitioners
Major courses are offered on nights and weekends and delivered in an accelerated, 8-week format.