SAU Police Department Wants You to
THINK SAFETY FIRST!
Have a Plan!
- Select your events and purchase tickets in advance if possible.
- Designate drivers for each activity.
- Park in well-lit parking areas and write down where you parked.
- Stick together. Never travel alone. Leave with the group you came with.
- Make sure you have the telephone numbers for the group.
- Do not consume alcohol if you are less than 21 years of age.
- If you are of legal age to consume alcohol, drink responsibly.
- Do not accept open container drinks from strangers.
- Designate drivers who have agreed not to consume any alcohol or call a friend.
- Be mindful of police checkpoints and plan accordingly.
- Remember, North Carolina Law prohibits the operation of a motor vehicle while drinking alcoholic beverages.
Be Aware of Your Surroundings.
- Be aware of what’s going on around you at all times.
- Take notice of street names, parking signs and landmarks.
- If you suspect you are being followed, cross the street, change direction or go to a place where others are standing.
- Remember that people use high traffic/crowed events as a time to commit crimes.
- If you are confronted by someone trying to victimize you, don’t be a hero. Get a good description and call the police.
Protect Your Valuables!
- Keep personal identification on you at all times.
- Limit the amount of cash and credit cards you carry with you.
- Secure cell phones and electronic devices properly when not in use.
- Keep handbags close when not accessing contents.
- Secure all valuable items in the trunk of your vehicle. Do not leave valuables visible in your car.
Don’t Get Caught Off Guard
- Be mindful. Do not let the festive atmosphere catch you off guard.
- Be aware of ticket scalpers. Purchase all event tickets from the approved ticket venues.
- Avoid displaying large sums of money.
- Keep your room and vehicle doors locked at all times.
- Don’t take rides from strangers.
- Having fun is a priority during Homecoming, but safety should always be first!
Call for HELP!
- Call campus police when you notice any suspicious activity at (919)516-4911. Or call 911.
- Remember, safety and security is everyone’s business.
- For EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE call 911.